Thursday, January 22, 2009

Play Dates at the White House

President Obama. How long have we waited to utter those two words? I know I've waited for what seems like a hundred years. And then, in a surreal series of events on January 20, it happened. We wept, we cheered, we silently emoted, and we were thankful that this time had come. 

I grew up attending a racially balanced school in Cincinnati. The first boy I ever kissed was African-American. Because it was an arts school, our principal ensured that the leads of our plays were racially mixed: one white girl opposite one African-American boy, and vice-versa. And then I went to college. Whoo, boy. The real world wasn't quite as balanced. Not by a long shot.

I thought of my racist and fearful family members as I watched Mr. Obama take the oath of office. I wondered what they would say were they still with us to witness this historic event. Some of them are still with me, fortunately, but I don't relish the comments I'm bound to hear when I see them next. But you know what? It's our turn. It's time for this country to breathe again, to feel hope, to feel represented. So it's OK if a few grumps need to make snide remarks. This is better than Christmas: I'll be grinning like a fool for a good long time. 

Last night, as I was tucking in my son, he asked, wholly innocently, if he could have a play date with the Obama girls. Son, you let me know when that invitation comes...Mommy will be more than happy to drive you to their house. I hear they even have their own movie theater. 

No comments: