Friday, November 7, 2008

Hope

I am still reeling, weeping, shouting, and shaking my head in near-disbelief. The man who spoke at the 2004 Democratic National Convention and who brought me to tears, the man who I said would be our first Black president, has indeed become president. With nary a misstep, with a sober, careful campaign, and with dignity unmatched by any candidate in recent years, Obama is our next president. I am moved almost beyond words.

So, I'll let others speak for me. For they do it so much better than I, this expression of joy with such eloquence. 

A man interviewed on NPR said, "Rosa sat so Martin could walk. Martin walked so Obama could run. Obama runs so our children can fly." 

A columnist in The New York Times described challenging her children to back up their opinions when it came to politics, or any other topic for that matter. "Don't tell, show," she said. She writes this week about trying to find a way to impress upon our children how very magnificent it is that our first African-American president has been elected. 

On national television, Colin Powell choked up as he described the emotions felt when he knew Obama had secured the vote. A careful, elegant, and well-respected United States secretary of state brought me to tears, as I listened to him talk about this historic event. 

In the comments section of a major daily newspaper, the mom of a bi-racial child told of the remark her daughter made as she watched the election results with her parents: "Mom, he's brown like me!" Oh, did I weep.

On election day, as I drove to school to pick up my son, a bald eagle landed in a tree directly above my car. I parked immediately and got out, to gape at this magical, evocative creature, on this, the most important political day of my life. After a few moments, he gently flew away. After I had my son in the car, a half hour later, and as we drove toward the polling place, we saw the eagle again, soaring right ahead of us. I excitedly pointed him out to my son and we shared the joy of the moment. What a day to see an eagle! On this of all days. Then as we parked at the polling location, we once again saw the eagle flying overhead. "Mom, he led us to the voting place!," my son exclaimed.

There are no words, kiddo. There are no words. 


No comments: